Quick Facts & Statistics
This Northeast Ohio community, the seat of Portage County, has a population of 11,724 and is located approximately 18 miles northeast of Akron, and 35 miles southeast of Cleveland and 35 miles west of Youngstown. Within 15 miles, the total population is approximately 445,000.
Travel & Commerce
While a number of Ravenna residents commute to jobs in Akron and Cleveland, many are also employed by local manufacturers that produce items ranging from rubber and plastic products to foundries and building supplies.
State highway routes 14, 44, 59, 5 and 88 serve Ravenna directly, and I-76, I-77, I-80 and I-480 are all within 15 miles. Rail service is available from Norfolk Southern, CSX Transportation, and Portage County’s short line railroad operated by the Akron Barberton Cluster Railway.
Commercial air service is convenient to area residents at either Akron-Canton Airport (27 miles) or Cleveland Hopkins Airport (40 miles). Private and corporate aircraft make use of Portage County Airport’s 3,500-foot hard-surfaced runway, just two miles from town. The excellent transportation facilities also promote considerable economic interaction between Ravenna and surrounding areas.
Shopping & Entertainment
City of Ravenna Statistics
- City of Ravenna: 11,724
- Portage County: 162,277
- Form of Government – Charter, Mayor, City Council
- Police – Ravenna Police Department
- Fire – Ravenna Fire Department
University Hospitals Portage Medical Center, Beds: 302
Level III Trauma Emergency Department, two urgent care facilities, comprehensive imaging facility, a network of physician practices and out-patient centers and medical facilities throughout Portage County.
- State Highways: Routes 5, 44, 14 (I480), 88, and 59.
- Interstate Highways: I-76, 3 miles South of Ravenna; Ohio Turnpike I-80 (Exit 13A) 5 miles North of Ravenna
- Trucking: 35 companies franchised; 3 terminals
- Rail: Norfolk Southern, CSX Transportation, and Portage County/Akron Barberton Cluster Railway (ABCR)
- Akron-Canton Regional Airport – 27 miles.
- Cleveland Hopkins International Airport – 40 miles.
- Portage Co. Airport – 2 miles.
- Water: Lake Erie, 4 ports within one hour drive.
- Water: City of Ravenna
- Sanitary System: City of Ravenna
- Electricity: Ohio Edison Co. / Energy Harbor
- Gas: Dominion Energy / Constellation
- Telephone: AT&T
- TV and Internet Service: Spectrum Cable, AT&T
- Television (Regional Channels): 16
- Radio Stations: 5
- Daily Newspapers: 3
- Local: Record Courier
- Regional: Cleveland Plain Dealer & Akron Beacon Journal
Top 5 Industries:
- Health Services
- Trade & Transportation
- Light Industry
Labor Force: Portage County avg. as of 3/2015 – 87,300
Unemployment Rate: P.C. average as of 3/2015 – 5.6%
- Local Real Property assessed at 35% of market value.
- Net effective millage per $1000 tax valuation 2018:
- Residential & Agriculture: 56.405598
- All other classes: 64.748900
- Local Tangible Personal Property assessed at 0%.
- New Manufacturing equipment accessed at 0%
- Total millage per $1000 tax valuation 2018: 93.69
- Local Income Tax: 2.50%
- Local Sales/Use Tax: 1.50%
- Sales/Use Tax: 5.75%
- Total Sales/Use Tax (Local/State): 7.25%
Attractions / Recreation / Shopping
Options abound within Portage County and neighboring communities. A partial list includes: Aurora Premium Outlets, Kent State University Fashion Museum, the Portage County Historical Society Museum and Zip City.
State Parks: West Branch, Nelson-Kennedy Ledges, Tinkers Creek and Eagle Creek State Nature Preserve. Visitors and residents alike enjoy a wide array of community parks, private campgrounds and 10 public golf courses.
Additional options within a one-hour drive include:
Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, Great Lakes Science Center, Pro Football Hall of Fame, Cleveland Indians, Browns, & Cavaliers, Akron Rubber Ducks, Mahoning Valley Scrappers, Lake Erie Captains, Lake Erie Monsters and Cleveland Gladiators.