Police Records Division
The Ravenna City Police Department’s Records Division maintains records of incidents occurring within the city limits of Ravenna, OH. These include Incident Reports, Arrest Reports, Crash Reports, case photos, etc.
Our Records Division strives to operate in compliance with all current Ohio Public Records Laws. We utilize Sundance System’s record management package to efficiently manage all of our records. Requests for copies of reports may be made in person, or by mail in request. We currently provide copies of reports at no charge, up to twenty-five (25) pages. For reports larger than 25 pages the fee is $0.05/page after page 25. We require this fee be paid prior to receiving the record. If you are sending a request by mail, you may call the Records Division first to inquire as to how many pages are contained in the report. Additionally, in accordance with Public Records Law, you may request to view a report on site at no charge. While most records are open for public viewing and/or copying, there are a few exceptions:
- Certain information may be redacted from reports in accordance with current Public Records Law and Privacy Laws. A good example of this would be Social Security Numbers.
- Cases which are currently under active prosecution may not be released by this department. Requests for copies of these reports may be deferred to the Prosecutor’s Office for disclosure under “discovery” proceedings in accordance with the Ohio Revised Code.
- Cases under active investigation, containing sensitive information which if released may jeopardize the successful investigation of the case, or may cause an uncharged suspect to flee, may be withheld.
These are some general guidelines. Our goal is to release records for public scrutiny in the vast majority of requests. And while some instances may require the temporary with-holding of a record, or portions thereof, we are here to work with you to obtain the information you need.
For your convenience, all crash reports handled by our department are available on-line by clicking HERE.
Background / Record Checks:
Background checks for purposes of employment, licensing, housing, etc. are performed by the Records Division. We offer two main types of searches:
- Upon request, this agency will check its locally held records for any reports involving a specified individual. Such “record checks” are done within the records maintained by the Ravenna Police Department ONLY, Records which may be on file with other agencies are not included. The results of this type of search will reveal all releasable records on file with the Ravenna Police Department where the subject of the search was named in the report. Unless specified otherwise, the results are NOT limited to only records where the subject was charged.
- The Ravenna Police Department offers the State of Ohio’s ‘Web Check’ service which utilizes fingerprints to search for criminal records on file either with the State Of Ohio’s Bureau of Criminal Investigation and Identification (BCI), or the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI), or both. This type of search requires the subject of the search to visit our office during our regular hours and provide electronic scans of his or her fingerprints. The prints are then electronically submitted to BCI, FBI, or both and criminal records are electronically searched for any criminal history. Please note this type of search will only reveal records where the subject was actually arrested and/or charged. Fees do apply for this type of check … Please refer to our fee schedule below.